Of Haydn’s numerous operas, only “ L'isola disabitata ” (The Deserted Island) has a librett by Pietro Metastasio . The plot recedes into the background in favour of the fine psychological interpretation of the feelings of the four protagonists. There are no more secco recitatives; instead the arias and ensembles and the commenting scenes with their emotionally-laden orchestral accompaniment are merged together in greater unities. The gloomy tone colours of the overture and the experimental form show the short, 90-minute chamber opera – called an “operetta” by Haydn himself – in a striking distance from Italian Baroque opera, perceptible even now.
The new vocal score is based on Vol. XXV/9 of the Haydn Edition.
- Based on the Urtext of the Complete Edition of “Joseph Haydn Werke ” , published by G. Henle Verlag
- Original Italian text, with German singing translation
- Vocal score with clearly-marked, incorporated original variants and alternative versions in an appendix
- Editorial additions in cue-sized notes
- Detailed foreword (Ger/Eng)