The “ Messe de Requiem” is probably the internationally best-known and most frequently performed work by Gabriel Fauré . The composer’s first version was limited to just five movements and small-scale forces with low strings, harp and organ. The work was then expanded several times culminating in the version for large orchestra of 1900. This orchestral version forms the basis of this edition.
Despite its comparatively long period of gestation, the Requiem forms a stylistic unity. Unlike other requiem settings, the composer foregoes any theatrical gestures in this work. A restrained dynamic range together with graceful melodic writing for both soloists and choir give the work a gentle and optimistic character.
The vocal score is based on the volume of the “ Complete Works of Gabriel Fauré ” (BA 9461) published in 2010. It is important to note that this vocal score is also compatible with the first small-scale version as well as the second chamber orchestra version.
- High-quality Urtext edition based on the “ Complete works of Gabriel Fauré ”
- First systematic evaluation of all sources
- Based on the large orchestral version of 1900
- Informative Foreword (Ger/Eng)
- Vocal score suitable for all versions of the Requiem